Sunday, August 8, 2010

Remembering...

Two years ago today was a day of "lasts" for me. It was the last day that my son lived at home. It was the last day that I had an unmarried son. It was the last day that I had my Smoochie all to myself. It was the last time that I wished that I could stop the hands of time.

We spent the day together and called it "Smoochie and Boochie's Last Hurrah." (Smoochie and Boochie are the nicknames we gave each other when he was very young... and the names stuck.) As we were driving home from our day out together, he spotted me crying and reached over and grabbed my hand and held it the rest of the way home. I couldn't resist taking this picture with my cell phone. The next day everything would change forever, but for that day, at that moment, it was perfect.


On that day, I remembered what I had been doing twenty years prior. I remember sitting in the living room at my in-laws' house and watching tv with my father-in-law and seeing that Prince Andrew & Fergie’s baby had been born. They were making a big deal about it because of the date: 8/8/88. I was four months pregnant. Who would ever have known that exactly twenty years later, I would be cherishing my last day of my baby boy living at home.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I love the relationship you have with your son... very sweet post!

Sherry said...

Another MAJOR sniff, sniff!!! My heart hurts reading this! It's so sad and yet sooo sweet! I love the pic of your hands!!! :( , :)